Saturday, February 23, 2008

Washington cont.

While it is true that everyone except for Dad slept alot on the drive to and from Washington, we were awake to see some pretty cool things. Unfortunately, none of the pictures I took (which were actually very few) turned out so I had to collect photos from off the web. Sorry about that, but at least there are photos.We can see Mt. Shasta from where we live in Anderson, but it is very pretty this time of year and we could see it forever even after we had passed it by and left it in the south. I think I saw somewhere that it has a base of 136" but hasn't had any fresh snowfall. I don't know what this means for skiers and snowboarders, but I think it looks really gorgeous covered completely in snow.Castle Crags is also really beautiful snow covered. It looks much more daunting with snow on it's peaks than it does without.We all thought Mt. Rainier was Mt. St. Helen's or something for the longest time. We didn't actually realize which one we were looking at until we had stopped at a McDonald's for breakfast and seen all their pictures about Mt. Rainier. It has got to be one of the hugest mountains I have ever seen, but maybe that is because it is kind of off by itself, I don't know. Very beautiful though. We almost drove over to check it out, but decided to head to Puget Sound instead. We all kind of have this addiction to saltwater, even though we don't live near it or not all of us actually enjoy being in/on it. So we drove along the waterfront (couldn't find parking or anything cause the traffic was crazy bad and we didn't really have the time) and admired some of the ships that were in. We were all (except maybe Dad) astounded at how HUGE the Cape Intrepid is.When we saw her, she was docked right next to the road and was towering over us. I thought she was double hulled like a catamaran or something, but I was researching her and she must have been tied up with another ship. It was pretty cool!And this was the only picture I could find of St. Mary's Traditional Catholic Church, the reason we went up to Tacoma in the first place. Outside the church isn't much, but inside it is beautiful. We went for mass, which was a traditional Latin mass and was really nice and made a huge impression on all of us. It was much more reverent and respectful than the new masses I have been to. I think the biggest difference is that in the new mass the people participate in it and in the Latin mass we are allowed to observe it. It was very interesting and I actually enjoyed it. So all the stressing I did before hand turned out to be needless!On the way back home we stopped in Ashland, OR at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival for an hour or so. We didn't see a play or anything, but wondering around looking at all the Shakespeare stuff and the cool architecture was a lot of fun and really cool. I mean admit it, can you really find something cooler than a town who has a year round Shakespeare festival? Ha, I didn't think so!

Anyway, our trip to Washington was long and tiring, but really cool. Sorry again about the lack of photos taken by myself, but I hope that these weren't too bad.

3 comments:

Absit Invidia said...

Veronica,

Great Post, Are you sure your Dad's eyes weren't shut when you took that picture? How long was the trip?

Love ya, Hal

Veronica said...

It was about a 20-hour round trip. The backseat of the truck gets awfully small really fast on a trip like that!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the trip! I would love to see that part of the country summertime. And of course catch a play at the Shakespeare festival!