Thursday, March 27, 2008

Today's Fun

After cold, dreary yesterday, Vanessa and I were more than ready to hit the trails and get out in the sunshine today! Shockingly, we decided not to go to Oakslough Trail (our current favorite for hiking and mountain biking) but instead to find Whiskeytown Falls. Interestingly enough, nobody knew about these falls for forty years. When the land for the park was being purchased in the 1960's park staff came across it, but kept its location a secret because the sellers did not know of the falls' existence. When the then superintendent suddenly passed away and staff members left and were replaced the falls were forgotten and lost. It wasn't until 2005 that Whiskeytown Falls were found again. Apparently there had been rumors about its existence and a few locals even knew where it was, but unless you knew exactly how to get there it was impossible to find.The trail to the falls is actually an old logging road from the 1950s and is rated as moderately difficult. I back that fully! You start out hiking at 2000ft in elevation and climb an additional 700ft on a very up and down single track trail. My lungs were screaming by the time we got to the Falls! And the hike back down definitely exercised my legs!After about a 20 minute hike we reached the falls. At no point on the falls can you see them in their entirety. In fact, the only way to see the entire fall is from the air!Vanessa and I took the trail up the falls, but it only goes about 3/4 of the way up.This is the middle part of the falls. I don't know if you can see it in this picture, but there is ice on those rocks!Vanessa and I had a wonderful time this morning on our hour hike and are now off to do a little bit of shopping at the Outlet Malls and to catch a movie! Hope you all have a good day!

1 comments:

Joe said...

Ice! Are you kidding me? It's almost April. So I take it you didn't have any better finding the start of the waterfall than you did at Burney Falls? I hate to admit it but I'm a little envious. Interstate 75 wasn't near as exciting.